Ashley Thompson

Ashley Thompson, pictured in a lab on the MSU campus.
Photo by Megan Bean

“I enrolled here because I fell in love with the campus,” said senior Ashley M. Thompson, a Clinton native. “The atmosphere made me feel at home, which was really important for me since my family doesn’t live here.”

Thompson will graduate this month and combine her love of microbiology—her major—with her love of psychology—her minor.

“My dream is to have a career in neuroscience,” said Thompson, a member of the Judy and Bobby Shackouls Honors College. “I’d love to work with patients with neurological disorders, and I’d also like to participate in neuroscience research, especially Alzheimer’s research.

“I’ve always been one to enjoy learning about how the things we can’t see with the naked eye affect us in huge ways, such as how an imbalance in certain neurotransmitters can result in psychological disorders, so microbiology has turned out to be the perfect major for me,” she said.

“I am very passionate about helping people, and since coming to MSU, I’ve learned that I am extremely passionate about helping those with neurological disorders. Even though I’m graduating from MSU soon, my academic journey is far from over,” said Thompson, who intends to go to medical school after completing the Medical Laboratory Technology program at the Nursing and Allied Health Center of Hinds Community College in Jackson this fall. “Knowing that the things I’m doing now is getting me closer to treating people with neurological disorders and conducting Alzheimer’s research keeps me motivated and excited about my future.

“My family also motivates me to ‘never give up’ on what makes me happy. They have always been there for me and they always remind me of my potential when I come across obstacles that are extremely challenging. But knowing I always have their support keeps me strong, focused and motivated to reach my goals.”

Encouraged by the support she receives from her family, Thompson wanted to carve out a space for her MSU peers also to find support and encouragement as they progressed in their academic journeys. As a freshman in 2017, Thompson founded Aspiring Minorities in Health Professions—an organization designed to provide a community for minority students seeking health profession careers—so “they know there’s always someone rooting for their success,” she explained.

“My idea was that we could come together and support each other on our professional journeys, but also be a source of information for students who didn’t really know where to start.”

Thompson is president of MSU’s chapter of the American Society for Microbiology, a member of Phi Kappa Phi honor society, and vice president of the College of Arts and Sciences Ambassadors.

“One of my favorite things about MSU is being part of the College of Arts and Sciences Ambassadors,” Thompson said. “We do a lot with incoming students and those interested in MSU. I love sharing information with others interested in similar things as me. Seeing them get excited about what MSU has to offer makes me very happy.”

Thompson said Mary Celeste Reese—director of the Dr. A. Randle and Marilyn W. White Health Professions Resource Center—and Hannah Bateman—admissions coordinator for the College of Arts and Sciences—have helped support and encourage her as she progressed at MSU.

“I’ve been so blessed to have them in my life, and they’ve been by my side since I met them. My college experience has not been easy, but they have helped me when things were rough and also have shared my joy when I succeeded at something. I can truly tell they care about me and my future, and I will never forget everything they’ve done for me.”